Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What's Right is Right

I hadn't realized how long it's been since I last updated this blog!! I guess life has a way of getting in the way of some things.

The last month has been one of the most challenging times of my life.  Why? Let me catch you up if you're out of the loop.

On Saturday, June 30, 2012, I met up with some of my tri buddies at Lake of the Arbuckles for a little mini triathlon practice.  The area was beautiful!! I swam 500 m in the lake and then took my time getting ready for my ride.  Christy and I headed out together for our 25 miler.  Since this was only to be a little practice session, I didn't take any rest time the day before so I was just going to go with the flow and ride at a pace that felt good.  In other words - wasn't going to kill myself.  About 9 miles in I was struck from behind by a vehicle.  Only later would I realize that it was an SUV travelling about 70 miles per hour.  I wasn't merely clipped by the side mirror - I was full-on run down!!  I don't remember the actual impact, but I certainly remember impact with the ground - after flying 57 feet through the air!!!
I couldn't believe this had happened!! I was stunned!! Then the pain kicked in! I can't adequately describe it - the pain scale of 1-10 that they give you doesn't even come close!!
Thankfully, a woman and her husband turned around and came to my aid, as well as several members from the local church that was just a few yards away.  Apparently, I asked about the status of my bike - I truly don't recall that part, but I don't doubt it.  I stayed conscious and was able to give anyone & everyone my husband's cell number.  An ambulance showed up after what seemed like forever.  Moving me onto a backboard was terrible! I knew for a fact that I had broken ribs - aside from the pain, I had a hard time breathing.

Unfortunately, my first helicopter ride couldn't really be enjoyed due to the excruciating pain, fear, shock.  I am glad, however, that the helicopter medic made sure he gave me a good dose of drugs!  It took about 3-4 doses of something 'good' to get me to about a 3 or 4 on the pain scale.
Upon arriving at OU Medical center, I was bombarded by a hoard of doctors, nurses and chaplain.  I was informed that my husband was on the way (oh, poor Scott).  I just wanted him with me - I've never been so scared in my whole life.  Over the course of the next hour or two, I was CT scanned, MRI'd, X-rayed, blood drawn - the whole 9 yards. 

The damage:
5 broken ribs
3 fracture vertebrae
collapsed lung
broken ankle
degloved hand
road rash from hell
Yeah, I was in pretty bad shape; however, had I not been wearing my helmet, it would have certainly been worse.

I got to spend almost a week in the trauma center and a day and a half at in-patient rehab.
I had so many visitors! I was awesome.  I love being around people and being isolated in a hospital room was my version of hell! Without the friendly faces, I don't know if I'd have made it!!

OK - so enough about me.  The driver who hit me?? Well, he's a real winner! Apparently he was on a suspended drivers' license.  He was driving his grandmother's car and was supposedly distracted by Christy who was riding a good 1/2 mile in front of me.  Yeah, right!! And I'm Heid Klum!!
He was cited for being a 'distracted driver'. Seems fair, doesn't it?!
I've had a lot of time to reflect during my time of recovery and I've come to many conclusions.  Most of which I'll spare you here, but I will share a few.
Bike lanes?! Where are they?? Didn't we vote & pass MAPS?
Oklahoma drivers SUCK!! Don't be offended if you yield when you're supposed to yield; stop when you're supposed to stop.  I'm referring to those drivers who don't feel cyclists or runners should be able to use the roads.  Those drivers who try to run you off the road just for fun.  If you are, indeed, one of those riders - then you SUCK!
Now I have to take the legal route to take care of medical bills, etc.  If you do something wrong, own up to it! Why should I have to fight for my right for compensation when we all know who was at fault?! That is why our nation is in the state that it is in - no one wants to take personal responsibility for their actions.
So here I sit, still in a back brace, can't work, no bike, bored out of mind.  I'm grateful to be alive, but still angry that this happened in the first place.

No comments: